Call today for a consultation


Legal Blog

How Do You Deal With Property Damage During a Car Accident?

Published: Jul 1, 2024 in Auto Accident, Personal Injury
St. Clair County Car Wreck Lawyers

When you are involved in a car accident, you may be forced to deal with much more than physical injuries. You still need a vehicle to drive, if you are able, and your car may be out of commission either temporarily or permanently. You need to have the vehicle repaired or replaced as soon as possible.

What Are the Challenges of Dealing with Car Repairs and Insurance Companies?

Recently, the price of repairing your car has skyrocketed even further. As a vehicle owner, you already know that you are walking into a world of hurt anytime that you enter a repair shop. Now, things are much worse. There is a reason why the insurance company has been raising your car insurance premiums recently, even though they may balk at paying the full price of repairs.

Regardless of who was at fault for the accident, you could be entitled to be paid for either the repairs to your car or a new one entirely if your vehicle is declared a total loss. If the other driver was to blame for the accident, their car insurance would be the one that pays you. If you were to blame for the accident, you could still expect coverage from your own insurance company. Regardless of who pays for the property damage, you can expect a rough time from the insurance company when it comes to getting everything you need.

Who Pays for Your Vehicle Repairs After a Car Accident?

You may file a claim right after the car accident because one of your first priorities is fixing your vehicle. Depending on the facts involved in the accident, you may file the claim directly with the other driver’s insurance company. They may separate the issue of property damage from overall liability for the accident. Usually, this is what happens when responsibility for the accident is very clear.

However, the other driver’s insurance company may deny responsibility for the accident. You would then need to work with your own insurance company to have the damage repaired. If the insurance companies determine that the other driver was to blame for the accident, the other insurance company would then reimburse your carrier.

You may also face a challenge when the other driver involved in the accident either did not have insurance or did not stop at the scene. Then, you would file a claim against your own uninsured motorist coverage, and you would be dealing with your own insurance company. You can also expect your own company to be challenging to deal with at times.

If you were to blame for the accident, you can still expect your insurance company to repair your vehicle. You would need to pay the deductible, and your claim would still be subject to policy limits.

What Happens if My Car Is Declared a Total Loss?

One challenge you may face is when the insurance company declares your car a total loss. They may do so when it does not make economic sense to repair the car when the actual cash value of the car is less than or comparable to the amount of the repairs. A total loss may not necessarily be a good situation for you. Depending on how much you owe for your car or how much it may cost for you to get a new vehicle, you could end up in a deep financial hole. You may need to fight the insurance company when they try to declare your car a total loss because of the economic consequences.

Contact the St. Clair County Car Wreck Lawyers at The Cates Law Firm

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, the St. Clair County car wreck lawyers at The Cates Law Firm can represent you in the legal process. Our attorneys can deal with the insurance companies on your behalf, making your life easier and taking a burden off your shoulders. You can schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys by calling us today at 618-277-3644 or using our online contact form.

Our office is in Swansea, Illinois, and we serve clients in St. Louis, Belleville, East St. Louis, Edwardsville, Granite City, Waterloo, Chester, Carbondale, St. Clair County, Madison County, Monroe County, Randolph County, and other regions throughout Southern Illinois.