Belleville Wrongful Death Lawyers
The loss of a loved one to negligence, recklessness, or an intentional act is one of the most devastating things you can experience — both emotionally and financially. At The Cates Law Firm, LLC, our Belleville wrongful death lawyers have handled many cases involving accidental deaths and understand the toll that this kind of event takes on a family.
It may seem that there’s nothing you can do to get justice when a loved one’s life is tragically lost in an accident, but, in Illinois, you may have the option to pursue a wrongful death case against the negligent party or parties. Illinois law allows the next of kin of someone killed by the negligent, reckless, or intentional actions of another person to seek compensation for the economic and emotional losses suffered.
If your lost loved one made significant economic contributions to your household, compensation through a wrongful death case can help you plan for your family’s financial future and alleviate some of the stress and uncertainty you may be feeling in the wake of your loss.
We understand that no monetary damages, nor concessions from a corporate wrongdoer about changing their practices, can ever replace what you lost. We can help hold accountable the party or parties that caused your loved one’s death and work to prevent other similarly situated families from enduring this kind of suffering and grief in the future.
What is a Wrongful Death Case?
In Illinois, the personal representative of the deceased can pursue legal action against the person or entity that caused the death through negligence or wrongful actions. The personal representative files the wrongful death action on behalf of the deceased’s next of kin.
If you prevail in a wrongful death case, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Lost earnings the deceased would have provided to the beneficiaries, especially if the deceased was the sole source of monetary income
- In the event the decedent was married, a surviving spouse may be able to recover compensation for the loss of society, companionship, and care
- Lost benefits, like insurance and savings, the deceased would have provided to any beneficiaries
- Pain, despair, grief, sorrow, mental suffering, and anguish suffered by the relatives of the decedent
There are generally two types of cases you might pursue in Illinois when you’ve lost a beloved family member to the negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions of another.
- Wrongful Death Claims — The Wrongful Death Act, 740 ILCS 180, creates the legal basis for a wrongful death lawsuit and states who can benefit from such a lawsuit. Our personal injury attorneys can discuss how this statute applies to your situation and the types of compensation you may be able to recover.
- Survival Actions — Another law, 755 ILCS 5/27-6, allows for what are known as survival actions. In a survival action, you may be able to recover compensation for certain types of personal injury damages not available under the wrongful death statute. Survival actions generally apply when your loved one survived for some period of time after the accident. In essence, you can pursue compensation your loved one may have been entitled to if he or she had survived the accident and been able to file a personal injury lawsuit. Our lawyers can explain this type of action in more detail.
Contact us today
Our attorneys have extensive experience dealing with wrongful death claims in Illinois and throughout the United States. We are familiar with the laws that will enable you to recover compensation for your losses. We will help you understand the law and what kind of claim may benefit you most.Contact us today at 618-277-3644 to let us begin working for you.
How Our Belleville Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help
You should know that wrongful death is a category into which numerous different types of causes of action may fall. Our attorneys are available to assist you in wrongful death actions as a result of many different types of negligence or misconduct, including:
- Asbestos Exposure / Mesothelioma
- Assault & Battery
- Aviation Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Defective Drugs
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Product Defects
- Toxic Exposures
- Truck Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
A loved one’s death due to the actions, inactions, or malpractice of another person, entity, or corporation can be overwhelming. Our team of skilled and experienced trial lawyers is dedicated to assisting you in determining whether you have the basis for a lawsuit and in helping you see that action through to the best possible outcome.
If your friend or loved one has been killed as a result of another’s negligent action, inaction, or malpractice, we may be able to help. Please call our Belleville wrongful death lawyers today at 618-277-3644 or contact us online to learn how we can help you.
The Cates Law Firm, LLC handles wrongful death lawsuits across the entire United States and throughout Illinois, including but not limited to the communities of Carbondale, Chester, East St. Louis, Swansea, Waterloo and Madison County, Monroe County and Randolph County.