Anesthesia has been a revolutionary force in modern medicine. Less than 100 years ago, doctors were performing surgeries and amputations with little more than rubbing alcohol applied to the site. Though anesthesia has many benefits, there are also severe dangers associated with it. This is why modern medical practice dictates that only trained specialists be allowed to administer and monitor anesthesia to patients. Unfortunately, anesthesia complications remain one of the most common causes of medical malpractice injuries.
If you have been injured due to an error involving anesthesia, contact our Belleville medical malpractice lawyers at The Cates Law Firm, LLC today. We will investigate your case and help you decide the best course of action. Call us at 618-277-3644 to find out how we can help you.
Obtain the Compensation You Deserve
Due to the nature of the anesthesia drugs and their effect on the body, their misuse often results in serious consequences for the patient. A serious injury is often just the beginning. Injured patients and their families must not only worry about recovering from an injury, but also the costs of medical treatment, lost time at work, and other expenses. It can be an overwhelming experience. Our attorneys are well versed in the law that applies to medical malpractice, having won several significant verdicts and settlements.
If you are the victim of an anesthesia injury, you may be able to recover the following compensation:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life or loss of a normal life
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wage loss
If your loved one was fatally injured due to medical negligence involving anesthesia, you may also be able to recover for your losses. Our Belleville wrongful death lawyers at The Cates Law Firm, LLC can help you determine what steps to take next. You may be able to recover the following through a wrongful death claim:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Medical bills and other expenses incurred prior to the passing of your loved one
- Grief, sorrow, and mental suffering
- Loss of economic support
- Loss of consortium, or the relationship with your loved one
- Loss of instruction, moral training, and superintendence of education of children
Every medical malpractice claim is different. Let our lawyers help you obtain the maximum compensation possible for your claim.
Common Causes of Anesthesia Injury
There are a multitude of factors which could lead to an anesthesia injury. Some of the errors which anesthesiologists make include:
- Failure to properly calculate the dosage
- Failure to administer the proper dosage (too much / too little)
- Failure to recognize concurrent adverse health events which should be addressed before beginning anesthesia
- Failure to instruct the patient on proper surgery preparation
- Failure to properly place the oxygen tube (“swan”)
- Failure to properly oxygenate the patient
- Failure to properly monitor the patient
- Failure to recognize that patient medication will negatively interact with anesthesia
- Failure to recognize allergies that will negatively interact with the anesthesia
- Defective tools, procedures, or devices used in the administration of anesthesia
- Failure to have appropriate guidelines for the administration of anesthesia and the monitoring of patients under anesthetic
Common Anesthesia Injuries
Just as the causes of an anesthesia injury are diverse, so are the injuries which may result. A non-exhaustive list of possible anesthesia injuries includes:
- Awareness / Pain During Surgery
- Birth Injury
- Brain Injury / Damage
- Heart Attack
- Internal Bleeding
- Spinal / Nerve Injury
How Our Belleville Medical Malpractice Lawyers Can Help You
At The Cates Law Firm, LLC, we strive to ensure that every victim, and, if appropriate, their loved ones, receive compensation for their losses. If you or a friend or loved one has been seriously injured as a result of an anesthesia injury or other form of medical malpractice, we are here to help with your claim. Contact our Illinois medical malpractice lawyers today at 618-277-3644 for a no cost, no obligation consultation, or use the contact form below and let us know how we can help you.