Call today for a consultation


Legal Blog

What Should I Do if I Experience Delayed Car Accident Injuries?

Published: May 8, 2023 in Auto Accident, Personal Injury
Talk to a St. Clair County Car Accident Lawyer at The Cates Law Firm After Experiencing Delayed Car Accident Injuries.

Car accident injuries sometimes appear hours or even days after a crash. Even if you believe you have been unhurt after being in a collision, you may actually have minor, serious, or even life-threatening injuries. This is why it is critical for you to pay attention to any changes in your physical and emotional health after being involved in a car wreck. You should always seek medical attention after any type of collision.

You should also understand how to proceed if you believe you may have a delayed injury. Taking prompt action can save you money, pain, and time.

Why Are Some Car Accident Injury Symptoms Delayed?

It may seem unusual for you not to know that you have been hurt in a crash. However, the body often reacts to sudden trauma by producing adrenaline and endorphins. This can mask even significant injuries, like broken bones.

Once your adrenaline and endorphins levels return to normal, you will likely begin to notice symptoms you were unaware of previously. For instance, your shoulder or neck may begin to throb, or you may experience tingling in your legs. These could be delayed reactions, and you may need to get a medical diagnosis to rule out serious injuries.

What Are Common Delayed Accident Injuries?

Some common car accident injuries that may appear hours or days later include:

  • Neck injuries and whiplash.
  • Joint, muscle, and tendon stress, sprain, and strain.
  • Organ damage.
  • Small broken bones or broken ribs.
  • Fractured or herniated discs.
  • Traumatic brain injuries.

What Should I Do if I Have Been Injured in an Accident?

Whenever you are involved in a car accident, you should keep track of how you feel. Even if were in a fender-bender, you may still be hurt. In the days following your crash, write down any new symptoms you feel. Be thorough with your documentation. Your written records can serve as evidence.

If you believe that your symptoms are mild, set up an appointment with your primary care provider or go to an urgent care clinic. Your visit should happen as soon as you notice your symptoms. If your symptoms are severe, such as sharp stomach pains, take a trip to the nearest emergency room. The faster you are seen by a certified medical professional, the faster you can get care.

Insurance Companies and Car Accident Injuries

Insurance companies are in business to save as much money as they can. Therefore, insurance adjusters will sometimes try to argue that any injuries that had a delayed onset were caused by something other than your crash. When this happens, having representation from a knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help.

Make sure that you continue to get the health care treatment you need regardless of what the insurance company initially says. Going to appointments, getting therapy or surgery, taking medications, and staying compliant with your doctor’s orders is the best thing you can do for you and for your case.

Talk to a St. Clair County Car Accident Lawyer at The Cates Law Firm After Experiencing Delayed Car Accident Injuries

If you have been injured in a car wreck, speak with a St. Clair County car accident lawyer at The Cates Law Firm. Call us at 618-277-3644 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Swansea, Illinois, we serve clients in St. Louis, Belleville, East St. Louis, Edwardsville, Granite City, Waterloo, Chester, Carbondale, St. Clair County, Madison County, Monroe County, Randolph County, and other regions throughout Southern Illinois.